Subject: Re: NetBSD/sparc booting off floppies... [was re: source change]
To: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/30/1996 14:02:07
Peter Galbavy wrote:

> I will get some *new* floppies and try again later.
>
> BTW I found that creating an install using Solaris 2 CD is actually easier
> than SunOS, except for installing the boot blocks. I used netboot with
> '-as' for that :)

"When I get some time", I'm going to try to create a bootable NetBSD/sparc
CDROM.  Looking at how a SunOS CD is setup, it should be fairly easy.
Basically:
disklabel (first 2k on a SunOS CD, 512 repeated 4 times)
iso9660 filesystem (which leaves the first 32k on a CD blank anyway)
BSD filesystem (with a RAMDISK kernel?)

Because a NetBSD kernel can be booted on sun4/sun4c/sun4m architectures,
the partition entries can point to the single FFS.  No need for 3 like
with SunOS.

Getting this to work would be cool, because then I can have a CDROM that
will boot a sparc _AND_ an x86 machine... :)

-Andrew