Subject: Re: Booting from the network
To: Kerry Gray <kgray@netcom.com>
From: Jack Culpepper <jack@muddcs.cs.hmc.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/29/1996 01:24:33

> > > On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, Jack Culpepper wrote:
> > I did enable tftp in inetd.conf.  I am not using an /etc/bootparams, because
> > the kernel I am booting is a Plan 9 fileserver =), and I do not want the SLC
> > to attempt to NFS mount anything.  All I want it to do is load and boot the
> > kernel I have.
> >
> As it is now, the prom expects a two stage boot program.  If you wrote
> your own to tftp the kernel and then jump into it, then you could do it
> without NFS.  I don't see how you could do it without coding something of
> your own.

Ok, I realize what I've been doing wrong.  I don't have a boot program in the
/tftpboot directory; I have a kernel.  However, this doesn't explain to me
why the SLC, 1, and 1+ I've tried to boot didn't at least succeed in tftp'ing
the file.  Furthermore, the IPC, which _did_ succeed, jumped into the plan 9
fileserver kernel and started executing it!  (And everything went as expected.)

Also, the problem seems (to me at least) to be on the tftpd end; tcpdump shows
that the machines are requesting files that are available in the /tftpboot
directory.

Thanks again!!  You guys are the greatest, and I hope to start contributing
soon, too...just as soon as I get some knowledge to contribute =).

Jack