Subject: Re: X11R6 for 1.1?
To: Charles Lepple <clepple@thor.tjhsst.edu>
From: Jack Culpepper <jack@muddcs.cs.hmc.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/27/1996 13:31:51

> In message <199606261956.MAA08203@muddcs.cs.hmc.edu>, Jack Culpepper writes:
> >Nope, not NetBSD-1.1, because there aren't any sparc binaries for X in there.
> Whatever. I thought that someone had said that there were some out there.
> >ect
> >).
> >>
> >> What kind of errors?
> The above question still stands :)

Turns out I _was_ using the wrong ones.  Serveral people pointed out the ones
in  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/sparc/X11R6, and they worked without
a flaw, first try.  I think this makes the errors question moot.

> >I have the 1.0 binaries.  My question is, are there a different set for 1.1?
> No clue...
> When we do stuff at tjhsst, we do it the way that involves recompiling
> every major piece of software at least once. ;) X11R6 was quite easy.
> I guess I cheated a bit, since I used the NetBSD variety of XFree86
> which has options for NetBSD/sparc.
> >If so, I would like to grab 'em, so I don't have to spend time cajoling
> >outdated ones to run on my 1.1 machine.  I seem to remember there being 1.1
> >X binaries for the Mac port, but I may be mistaken (haven't played with it
> >for a while).  Sun4c is right.
> I guess the problem is that all of the sun machines were mysteriously fried
> after a recent thunderstorm (everything else survived except the gateway
> machine) so getting to the binaries may be tough (I'm at work now and the
> school isn't always open. I'll see what I can do, but if you get a chance to
> grab XFree86, try compiling it. It only needs a few hundred megs of space, and
> performance of the NFS server (if that's the way you do it) where the stuff is
> kept isn't a big issue. Let me know if you need help.

Don't worry about it; it's been resolved.  Thanks for offering!  Bummer about
the storm =(.

> -Charles Lepple
> clepple@foo.org
> clepple@swift.mitre.org <- much faster than clepple@tjhsst.edu or @foo.org