Subject: Re: ELC with pc532
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/20/1996 13:47:42
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>

> There are 3 files here.  One is a kernel boot floppy image,
> one is a microroot filesystem image, and one is a miniroot
> filesystem image.  The first two go together.  You boot from
> the boot disk, and when it ejects that floppy, you put in
> the second and press return.  Then NetBSD loads that
> filesystem into RAM and uses it as the root device.  The
> idea is here to allow disk formatting, etc.  The final
> filesystem image is larger than a floppy and is the full
> miniroot used on several NetBSD ports.  It is planned that
> the microroot will automagically load the miniroot for you
> but at this point, you need to load it manually into the
> swap partition and then boot it.

Well, my ELC doesn't have a floppy so I guess using the first 2
files are out. 8-)  Can I just put the miniroot on a tape (or disk)
and boot /netbsd from in there?  And in my case, do I need a
disklabel if I put it on a disk?  David's root, although large was
very simple to use.  Just" gzcat root.gz | dd of=/dev/sd1c", move
a disk, and boot with /netbsd.  Do/will we have something that
simple for tape, floppies, CD-ROM, and disk?  I don't have any
problem with "Insert second floppy now" messages for small media,
but this doesn't sound quite that clean.  Are you trying to move
it in that direction, or am I reading it to be harder than it is?

Jon Buller