Subject: Re: 1.2A snap
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/15/1996 05:31:14
>>Don't use the install.sh script if you're installing over an existing system.
>
> isn't that what 'upgrade.sh' is for ?  i'm not sure ...

Yes, it is.  But I thought that since I was doing it from a SunOS miniroot,
it would be OK to use "install.sh".  Modulo the problems caused by my "/usr"
and "/var" having been newfs'd under NetBSD, it might have worked  :-)

>> differing type.  I seem to recall problems with "more" because of this
>> (since Matt changed it to being "less"-based between 1.0 and 1.1B).
>
> do you remember specifics ?  i've tried to fix any problems with
> the more mode i've added to less290.

No problems with "more" the program; perhaps I didn't explain it well enough:

Currently "more" is a hard link to "less" and "page".  In 1.0 "more" was a
binary and "page" was a symlink to it.  Anyway, they were different from what
they are now - symlink changed to hard link.  The SunOS "gtar" binary wouldn't
overwrite the existing 1.0 files with the new versions iff the new versions
were of differing type than the originals - such as in this case (i.e., "page"
was no longer a symlink, it was now a hard link).

There were other cases of this; I just had to do an "ls -ltc" and see what
the oldest stuff in each directory was to see what had been left alone because
the "gtar" extract didn't overwrite it.

	- Greg