Subject: Re: ELC with pc532
To: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
From: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/14/1996 08:00:06
>	I didnt see any reply to your post (most likely due to the port-sparc
>	maillist problems recently - You may want to resubscribe if you're
>	not getting any port-sparc mail).

Yup, I have 2 subscribe succeded messages and a which in between
them that doesn't have me on port-sparc.  It was fixed a few days
ago, I think by my re-sending the subscribe message.

>	Standard 72pin _with_ parity - I've bought PC memory with parity
>	and it works fine in my ELC. 4mb or 16mb are fine - I think you
>	can mix any combination.

I read the Sun Hardware FAQ and came to the conclusion that a ELC
MIGHT be in the position to REQUIRE parity bits for some other use.
I bought on that assumption, and the so far so good.

>> 2) I do not have any other Ethernet capable machines, can I do a diskless
>>    boot via PPP over a serial port?  If not, what is my best option for
>>    getting an initial image on the disk?  QIC150 tape?  CD-ROM?  A cloned
>>    (and hacked) disk from my little-endian NetBSD/PC532?
>>
>	I could give you a targzipped image you should be able to dd onto
>	/dev/rsdXc on your pc532 to at least get it booted single user,
>	after that you should be able to use the tape or ppp/slip...
>	Just let me know!

I was thinking about writing a tape from the 1.1 binaries, exchanging
the internal QIC150 tape with an external CDROM, hooking up the
now external tape to the ELC, and booting.  I think the cloned disk
image would be MUCH simpler.  PLEASE send it, or tell me where to
FTP it.

Thanks much,
Jon Buller