Subject: ELC with pc532
To: None <jonb@metronet.com>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/14/1996 10:23:52
	I didnt see any reply to your post (most likely due to the port-sparc
	maillist problems recently - You may want to resubscribe if you're
	not getting any port-sparc mail).

> I just got a SPARC ELC with no memory or disk.  I have some spare
> SCSI disks to use, and I've given the install document a quick
> once-over, but I have a few questions since I have never dealt much
> with the SPARC boot ROMs.
>
> 1) Does the ELC take standard 72 pin memory SIMMs from Macs or PCs,
>    or will I need to call Sun Express and get special Sun memory at
>    a special Sun price?  If they are standard, do they need parity?

	Standard 72pin _with_ parity - I've bought PC memory with parity
	and it works fine in my ELC. 4mb or 16mb are fine - I think you
	can mix any combination.

> 2) I do not have any other Ethernet capable machines, can I do a diskless
>    boot via PPP over a serial port?  If not, what is my best option for
>    getting an initial image on the disk?  QIC150 tape?  CD-ROM?  A cloned
>    (and hacked) disk from my little-endian NetBSD/PC532?

	I could give you a targzipped image you should be able to dd onto
	/dev/rsdXc on your pc532 to at least get it booted single user,
	after that you should be able to use the tape or ppp/slip...
	Just let me know!

                   David/abs             (david@mono.org)

.---- I've been too drunk to love ----.--- I've been too drunk to remember -.
|          Too drunk to care          |     The hell of the night before    |
|  Looked like death, felt like Hell  |    I've been drinking myself blind  |
`------ Been the worse for wear ------'--- And still I'll drink some more --'