Subject: Re: Better SunOS than SunOS! (and minor X11R6.1 problem)
To: None <jehamby@lightside.com>
From: James E. Bernard <jbernard@tater.Mines.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/28/1996 06:11:56
>One minor problem:  I built X11R6.1 straight from the X Consortium
>distribution, and there is no keyboard repeat in the X server, even though
>xset says that it is turned on!  This is very annoying.  X11R6.1 includes

  I have the same problem on a couple of sparc 1's.  Except, the key repeat
isn't actually missing, it's just that the delay in initiating autorepeat
is excessively long (approaching a minute on one system, about 5-6 sec on
another).  The -ar1 arg to the server does have an effect, but, at least on
the one system on which I've tweaked it repeatedly, even setting it to
1 ms leaves the delay unacceptably large at about 1 sec.  I suspected a
simple scaling problem in the units used for the value, but found none in
a brief perusal of the code.  The apparent difference in behavior on two
identical machines leads me to suspect something weird about the mechanism
used to time the delay, but I won't have time to look into it further for
a few weeks.

  One other thing I've noticed is that the beep function sometimes makes
exceedingly short, almost non-existent, beeps.  Other times it seems more
or less normal.

--Jim Bernard