Subject: My first kernel
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Boven <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/24/1996 02:38:45
Hi everyone,

I finally built my first kernel today. Supped ksrc-common and -sparc,
and configed my own "BLURB". It's sitting in my root-directory now,
waiting till I dare try it, but I thought it better to send this mail
beforehand...

Question: Why is there so much clearly pc-specific stuff in the sup
for ksrc-common? About ISA, and PCI etc... couldn't that be moved to
their own ksrc? How much of it can I delete?

The current SUP does not compile out of the box, because make sets
-Werror for gcc, and there are three types of error in the files:
places the code shouldn't reach (/* NOT REACHED */) and where a
return() is missing for a non-void function. There are also warnings
about variables not being initialized, though the switch-statements
they are in will always assign a value to them. These errors are
more compiler-oversights perhaps than real bugs, and I wonder whether
they ought to be fixed, so the kernel will compile with -Werror.

Then there is a last group of warnings, that are in printf-statements
associated with panic-calls. What happens, is that formatting strings
like %b (bitfield?) and %: are used, that the compiler doesn't know
about. Which then causes it to warn about too many arguments to the
printf, wich might be a problem indeed...

So what I'd like to know, what's the proper way to get these things
cleared? Does one submit patches? (Not that I'm about to, I just
kludged around with bogus retrun();'s in the NOT REACHED parts
and then later just removed the -Werror after kludging up the
the printfs). Or does one report the bugs somewhere? I refrained
from mentioning all those I encountered because I don't know if this
is the right place to turn them in, and becuase I have this nagging
feeling I'm probably doing something wrong myself :)

Anyway, time to try my kernel, boot netbsd.diy -s, whish me luck...
Paul Boven, <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>  PE1NUT  QRV 145.575 JO32KF
 "And  she  looked  like  she  had  sex,  with  a  tyranosaurus  rex"
Cannibal surf babe     --     Afraid of sunlight     --     Marillion