Subject: Re: 4m status?
To: None <neil@domino.org>
From: David S. Miller <davem@caip.rutgers.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/23/1996 23:15:23
   Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 01:05:59 +0100

   On Thu, 23 May 1996 17:21:35 -0400
    Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net> wrote:

   >   The Sun4/600 is a 9U VME board with four sbus slots on it (no joke),
   > two mbus slots, and VME hardware.  It's got audio, esp scsi, and le()
   > ethernet on the cpu board.  It's a *very* nice machine.  It's
   > basically Sparc10 with VME and no ISDN.

   I would think netbsd should boot on it then?

Nope, need lebuffer support in the Lance driver (confirmed) and ESC
gate array support for the esp (I think) and the PROM is a completely
different beast than found on any sun4m/sun4c.  The prom more
resembles the sun4 prom than openboot.  Plus the memory controller
needs to be poked in a certain way to work around some Viking hardware
bugs.

Also if you want to use anything on the VME you need IOCACHE code.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@caip.rutgers.edu