Subject: Re: 4m status?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/22/1996 20:39:12
Peter Galbavy writes:
> Today I installed a SS20/71 (75Mhz, 1Mb Cache, 4Gb Disk, 320Mb RAM) SPARC
> compatible in < 1 hour with a SunOS 4.1.4 CDROM and an Ethernet connection.
>
> Basically, you need to get a clean disk partition (which can be done from
> miniroot) and then install all the binaries (including kernel). For the
> first boot you can only use the SunOS boot blocks (AFAIK) so that you can
> the boot the /netbsd kernel and run the native installboot program. Then
> convert the file system to the new (wider inode elements) form. Reboot,
> and you have a native NetBSD/sparc without *any* Sun binaries.

OK, so what am I doing wrong?

We have two SS20/71's sitting out waiting to be installed and delivered to
their final users.  Given that there's not a stitch on them and they're just
sitting doing nothing until then, I thought it would be fun to see if I could
boot the snapshot on one of them.

So I did basically what Peter had described: boot 4.1.4 CD, run "format" to
pre-partition the disk, boot the miniroot.  I then newfs'd /dev/sd0a and
mounted it on /a.  I unbundled {bin,etc,sbin,dev}.tar.gz into /a from a CD-ROM
I had burned with the 1.1 distribution and the April 12th snapsnot on it.
I then copied netbsd.gz to /a and gzip -d'd it.  I then copied boot.sun4m from
the miniroot into /a/boot.  Finally, I went to /usr/mdec and did the usual
"installboot -vl /a/boot bootsd /dev/rsd0a".  A couple of sync's and an L1-A,
and let's see what happens:

	ok boot -as
	[...]
	Boot: netbsd
	Size: 1114080+108520+69872 bytes
	data fault: pc=f80096ec addr=fe01c00c sfsr=3a6 <FAV>
	panic: kernel fault
	halted

	ok

Will only the May 4th snapshot kernel work?  And this April 12th one won't?

The machine has no floppy or tape drive or Ethernet attached (it's sitting
out in the middle of an area with nothing around it), so getting the newer
snapshot netbsd.gz (from May 4th) may be a bit of a pain in the arse.

Any ideas?

	- Greg