Subject: Re: NFS mount NIGHTMARE
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/13/1996 11:48:30
> On Mon, 13 May 1996 11:10:07 -0500 (CDT)
>  Blake Wickliffe <blakew@arlut.utexas.edu> wrote:
>
>> 	mount -t nfs server:/homdir
>
> Well, you're missing an argument there, at least :-)
>
> I usually just use:
>
> 	mount server:/path/to/server/dir /localdir
>
> Works fine...

Does this now do mounts from a priviledged port by default???

Blake, what happens if you do

	mount -o nosuid,-P Solaris_server:/homedir /some/local/dir

>> This is really weird since it only applies to the main file server.  It
>> makes me think that there is a server side problem (it's running Solaris)

It's now important to say what version of Solaris.  For example, if you're
running NetBSD-current and Solaris 2.5/2.5.1 on the server side, one suspects
that the client is trying NFS V3 style mounts, since the client side supports
them and the server side supports them.  Perhaps that is causing problems.
You might try variants on the above:

	mount -o nosuid,-P,-2 Solaris_server:/homedir /some/local/dir

do force an "old-style" NFS V2 mount; or

	mount -o nosuid,-P,-l Solaris_server:/homedir /some/local/dir

to use the "ReadDirPlus" RPC call.  See mount_nfs(8) for more info on these.

	- Greg