Subject: Re: Recent talk about SS 10's
To: None <neil@domino.org>
From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@roxanne.nuclecu.unam.mx>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/08/1996 09:46:52
> This recent talk about trouble with SPARC 10's onboard ethernet has me a
> bit worried. I have been considering upgrading to one, and had been
> wondering what pitfalls I might fall in to. Exactly how bad is the
> problem  with the 10's onboard ethernet, my plans were for a network of
> about 3-5 machines and up to 3 terminals, will I be hating life, or will
> the 10 handle it ok ?

I had overlooked this discussion, but now I just realized that my SS10
running SunOS 4.1.4 has problems with his ethernet.  It has a moderate
load (name server, nfs and samba) I have the following script running
at all times, I got tired of having turn off the machine (oh, we run
NIS):

while true; do ifconfig le0 up; sleep 60; done

I guess professionals OS like BSD and Linux will handle this kind of
problems just fine, but SunOS is not the case.

Miguel.
--
miguel@roxanne.nuclecu.unam.mx
The GNU Midnight Commander: http://stekt.oulu.fi/~jtklehto/mc