Subject: Re: DIN plugs
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG, port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/03/1996 09:17:42
> Does anyone know of any electronics part supply stores that have the
> DIN plug that type4-above-keyboards use?

> I'd like to build a type3 to type4 convertor. :)

> (A SPARC _should_ talk to a type3, as far as I know, and the wiring
> is all in the hardware FAQ...)

A SPARC will talk to a type-3, as far as signals go.  I've never dared
directly connect it, for fear the keyboard power fuse on a SPARC is
rated for type-4 and above, ie, that a type-3 would blow it.  However,
if you break out the +5 line(s) and feed the keyboard +5 from a
separate supply, and connect up just the ground and signal lines, it
works like a charm.

I know this from personal experience.  Sun sells adapter cables
designed for using a type-4 or higher on a machine expecting a type-3;
if you take one of those and flip it end-for-end, all you need is two
female DB-15s with a little wiring between them.  I built such a thing,
though as I said above I connected up the +5 lines on the "keyboard"
connector to a separate power supply, rather than to the +5 lines on
the "machine" connector.

The box is at work, and I'm not, or I'd give the wiring diagram.  But
you imply you already have all the pinouts you need, so you can deduce
it yourself easily enough.

(Yay, someone else who likes type-3s!  IMO they're the only really
_good_ keyboard Sun ever made.  But I _so_ rarely find anyone who
agrees with me on that....)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu