Subject: Re: booting a 4/330
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Conran <lucifer@dstc.edu.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/03/1996 17:54:24
Greg Earle writes ...
> > modes ... this one seems a little odd as it is an old-mode yet it is a
> > sun4. I can't get it to go into new mode .. I don't think it has one :(
>
> No, it does not.  It is not an OpenBoot PROM machine.
Hmmm ... does this mean it can boot netbsd .. I seem to remember reading
something that said it needed the open-mode?

> > it tries to boot off sd(0,18,0) (and did when it had slowaris on scsi id#3)
> > I can not for the life of me figure out how it gets 18 from id 3.
>
> The number is actually hex.  Meaning 0x18 == 24.  24 is 3x8.  Each bump in
> id adds 8.
Damn .. thought of hex too .. but didn't try it.

> > All of them give me "sd: Device not found."
>
> 8 * 6 = 48 == 0x30.  You want to try "> b sd(0,30,2)".
>
> Why not just boot the SunOS 4.1.4 CD into the miniroot and install NetBSD
> from there?  That's the easiest way, if you have NetBSD on suitable media
> (read: CD-ROM, another disk, or on a tape of some sort w/ tape drive).
Hmm .. I might try tape.

> Ouch.  8 Mb on-board?  That's gonna suck the royal weenie.  Keep your eyes
> out on the Net for a VMEbus memory board.  You might get lucky and find a 32
> Mb board out there for cheap.  That would be a big help ...
Yerp ... you should have seen it boot solaris .. talk about slowaris.
but .. it should do what I want (be a nfs server), and yes .. I am looking at
2nd hand cheap VME mem boards :)
It can take 32Mb on the CPU board .. if you have 4Mb simms.

> 	- Greg

Thanks for your help .. it is greatly apreciated.
David
--
 _--_|\  David Conran,                          Voice: +61-7-3365-4307
/      * Senior Systems Administrator           Fax:   +61-7-3365-4311