Subject: booting a 4/330
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Conran <lucifer@dstc.edu.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/03/1996 15:32:35
G'day ... I have come into possession of two 4/330's and I am having a little
trouble booting them.

firstly. the monitor mode seems quiet bizzare, I am used to sun3 and sun4[cm]
modes ... this one seems a little odd as it is an old-mode yet it is a
sun4. I can't get it to go into new mode .. I don't think it has one :(
Btw .. It is:
Sun SPARCsystem 300.
ROM Rev 4.1.1, 8MB memory installed, Serial blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

it tries to boot off sd(0,18,0) (and did when it had slowaris on scsi id#3)
I can not for the life of me figure out how it gets 18 from id 3.

added a cdrom to it on #6 ... tried all sorta of incantations
sd(0,6,2)
sr(0,6,2)
sd(0,6,0)
sd(0,21,2) (18+3)
etc etc etc
All of them give me "sd: Device not found."

what gives ...?
This is unlike anything I have dealt with sun's ... any hints/suggestions?

I am trying to install SunOS 4.1.4 so I can get netbsd-current/sparc on to it.

The machine has the bare 4/330 CPU VME board in it. No other devices/boards.
SCSI is terminated.
Using an ascii terminal as the console.
I'd try to netboot/install it if I knew how to do it for netbsd-sparc.
(Have done it for sun3/50's though :)

Thanks in advance.
And sorry to bother you .. (Have looked through the mail archives and
sun hardware faq's already.)
--
 _--_|\  David Conran,                          Voice: +61-7-3365-4307
/      * Senior Systems Administrator           Fax:   +61-7-3365-4311