Subject: Re: booting a 4/330
To: None <lucifer@dstc.edu.au>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/02/1996 23:56:40
> firstly. the monitor mode seems quiet bizzare, I am used to sun3 and sun4[cm]
> modes ... this one seems a little odd as it is an old-mode yet it is a
> sun4. I can't get it to go into new mode .. I don't think it has one :(

No, it does not.  It is not an OpenBoot PROM machine.

> it tries to boot off sd(0,18,0) (and did when it had slowaris on scsi id#3)
> I can not for the life of me figure out how it gets 18 from id 3.

The number is actually hex.  Meaning 0x18 == 24.  24 is 3x8.  Each bump in
id adds 8.

Therefore ...

> added a cdrom to it on #6 ... tried all sorta of incantations
> sd(0,6,2)
> sr(0,6,2)
> sd(0,6,0)
> sd(0,21,2) (18+3)
> etc etc etc
>
> All of them give me "sd: Device not found."

8 * 6 = 48 == 0x30.  You want to try "> b sd(0,30,2)".

> I am trying to install SunOS 4.1.4 so I can get netbsd-current/sparc on to it.

Why not just boot the SunOS 4.1.4 CD into the miniroot and install NetBSD
from there?  That's the easiest way, if you have NetBSD on suitable media
(read: CD-ROM, another disk, or on a tape of some sort w/ tape drive).

> The machine has the bare 4/330 CPU VME board in it.  No other devices/boards.

Ouch.  8 Mb on-board?  That's gonna suck the royal weenie.  Keep your eyes
out on the Net for a VMEbus memory board.  You might get lucky and find a 32
Mb board out there for cheap.  That would be a big help ...

	- Greg