Subject: Re: Why can I net boot?!
To: None <tuc@stormking.com>
From: Matthew N. Dodd <winter@jurai.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/01/1996 14:14:12
On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Scott J. Ellentuch wrote:
> 	I got 2 different netboot programs, and it seems that after it tftps
> the loader it doesn't like the ethernet device.  What gives?  I'm quite
> disappointed.  If I can get this working by Wednesday night I'll have to
> give up on it for a while as I'm going to Australia for a month 1/2.  I
> had hoped to get the system to a point where I could do work on it over the
> net but that doesn't look like the case!

The sparc should:

- rarp for its IP address
- grab the bootstrap from the system that answered the rarp request
  using tftp
- make a bootparam request
- use the info provided by bootparam to NFS mount root and swap etc.
- boot from the kernel

At least this is how I remember doing things, on my sparc and on my
sun386i.

You need.

/etc/ethers
/etc/hosts
rarpd
/tftpboot (and appropriate boot files)
tftpd
/etc/bootparams
rpc.bootparamd (it's called bootparamd on my FreeBSD system...)
and the appropriate root and swap partitions...

The install readme for the Sparc port was a little unclear at times but
it DID cover all the things that needed to be done.

Have a good one.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|