Subject: Re: changes from apr 15 to apr 23
To: None <neil@domino.org, thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/29/1996 14:32:29

>  > Hah! OK, Stick a floppy in your disk drive and boot! The kernels that hang
>  > at root on sd0 now boot!
> Nonetheless, the problem has recently "appeared" ... I.e. I used to be
> able to boot without a floppy in the drive ... maybe I'll go try out that
> hypothesis later on today (gotta go into work to test it out).

Turns out we had a border-line polling loop in fdattach() that ran out of steam
too early. Since delay(n) used to take almost 2*n microseconds before returning,
the fdc was polled just long enough on some (but evidently, not all) machines.
Anyway, I changed fdattach() to wait up to 10 seconds for the chip when
probing for drives.

-pk