Subject: Re: sun4m (LX) crashes...
To: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/28/1996 16:50:16
> Yes, it is. It's a long-standing problem that I've been seeing for a
> long time. It occurs sporadically and hits a random process.
>
> The trap is classified as a "data error" by some sources, and as an
> "internal processor error" by others. Some time ago, I found out that
> you get it if you write to an undefined location in one of the alternate
> address spaces. So, my current theory is that there's a code path leading
> to the execution of some sun4/sun4c code (in a sun4m kernel).

Hmm, looks like a difficult one to track down.  Perhaps looking at
what changes when DDB,DEBUG,DIAGNOSTIC are taken out of the kernel
would shed some light?  Specifically because a GENERIC_SCSI3 will
consistently panic without them.  With those options my LX doesn't
panic, but I see the illegal instruction problem.  Maybe there is a
consistency check that is being done that prevents a panic, but results
in a signal to the running process?

-Andrew