Subject: Re: changes from apr 15 to apr 23
To: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/28/1996 14:01:13
On Sun, 28 Apr 1996 13:28:03 +0100
 I <neil@domino.org> wrote:

> I just built a current kernel for sun4m and sun4c.
>
> The 4m kernel boots fine. The 4c kernel hangs at root on sd0, but I can
> L1-A it.

Whoops there isn't fd listed in this kernel. I'm building a 4m kernel with
fd.... OK This works with or without the FD driver configed.

> This reminded me of a problem that I had a while ago, so I tried something.
>
> I took removed the floppy disk driver from my config file, made a kernel
> and this booted fine on my IPX.
>
> I would assume then that something in the fd driver is hanging the kernel?
>
> Hmm, I just thought of something else, reboot needed...

YES!

Hah! OK, Stick a floppy in your disk drive and boot! The kernels that hang
at root on sd0 now boot!

Hope this is useful. Theo pointed this out to me with OpenBSD when I booted
it a while ago, I don't think Theo ever worked out what was causing it.
I think OpenBSD still has the problem, Theo did you ever solve it?

Weird.

Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae.                               DNS: Domino Network Services
neil@domino.org        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)