Subject: Re: sun4m (LX) crashes...
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/28/1996 11:06:14
On Sat, 27 Apr 1996 13:50:01 -0400 (EDT)
 Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I run 'make build' on my LX, or just 'make depend' in /usr/src,
> it will eventually panic.  I don't have a trace yet, but the panic
> message looks like: (one of)
> 	panic: pv_unlink
> 	panic: kernel fault
> 	panic: pmap_page_protect !PG_V
>
> Usually the panic is pmap_page_protect.  Also, gcc/make will often
> die with an "illegal instruction" signal.
> This is with either the snapshot kernel, or my own GENERIC_SCSI3.
> I was thinking my new GENERIC_SCSI3 was working better, but it doesn't
> appear to be now.  Another "interesting" thing, is that dmesg can't
> recognize my cores in /var/crash.  I get a "magic number incorrect"
> or something error, so I'm not sure I have a valid core.
> My hardware:
> 	Sparc LX
> 	24MB
> 	builtin cgsix
> 	builtin le
> 	builtin ESP
> 	SUN0535 disk
> 	SBUS 100Mbs Fast Ethernet
> 	(qec at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0x20000 not configured)

Are you using NFS? I used to get that alot with NFS.

Would there be an interest in a sun4m binary snapshot?

Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae.                               DNS: Domino Network Services
neil@domino.org        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)