Subject: Re: A few Sun4m changes
To: Rob Healey <rhealey@helios.mn.org>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/26/1996 17:15:51
On Fri, 26 Apr 1996 10:05:30 -0500 (CDT)
 rhealey@helios.mn.org (Rob Healey) wrote:

> 	The real solution if you can't find some sucker^h^h^h^h^h^hbuyer
> 	to take the 10 off your hands is to use the buffered scsi/ether
> 	card.
>
> 	On most of the systems I've tried the cron/ping trick it has done littl
> 	good, it almost always locked up solid relatively quickly although it
> 	lasted some amount of time longer than without the cron/ping trick.
> 	I'll temper this with the fact that all the networks I've ever used a
> 	10 on had EXTREMELY high traffic rates... The end solution was to ditch
> 	the 10's although the buffered cards allowed the 10's to be used till
> 	they could be decommissioned.

I'm going to have to disagree here. This solved the problem we had, this
was whilst I was at Demon and I can tell you the ethernet was
at about 80-90% utilisation, Demon then got an ethernet switch.

> 	My end personal, and biased, opinion on the subject is that a
> 	10 has no real business on a heavily used net using it's motherboard
> 	ether. It should work OK as a workstation at home though assuming
> 	you don't have much traffic on the home network.

Demon were using SS10's as routers, with about 10 64K/128K dedicated
circuits plugged into it. The ethernet was loaded...

Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae.                               DNS: Domino Network Services
neil@domino.org        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)