Subject: Re: Kernel locks at root mount on April 23+ sup
To: None <rhealey@MR.Net>
From: None <greywolf@defender.vas.viewlogic.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/26/1996 09:20:27
Rob Healey sez:

	   After my sup on April 23rd I can no longer make a kernel that will
	   get past the "root on sd0a" message during boot. It's a HARD lock
	   to, no L1-A will get you out of it, we're talking power switch time.

Oh, THANK YOU!  I get the SAME bloody result!  (I thought I had gone slightly
crazy...)

	   And yes, I've wiped everything clean, re-installed all includes, mk,
	   etc. the usual cast of suspects and no difference.

I grabbed the Apr 11 binary snapshot and Apr 23 sources and just config'd
and made a kernel, so I don't have _quite_ as much room to complain (since
I Did Not Do The Right Thing [TM])...

	   I'm on a SS1+, 36M of memory, 525M Quantum and the April 22 sup
	   kernel works like a champ on the same setup.

SS1+, 24M core, 2 ST1480N disks, GX (cg6) board.

		   -Rob

Anyone tried setting up a cg6 with RCONSOLE defined?  It has precisely
the opposite result from what was probably desired :-)  The scrolling mode
turns from slow to slower, as in scroll for each pixel-line.  Painful.

[Yeah, so Don't Do That, I know.  I took RCONSOLE out...]

				--*greywolf;
--
I'm really a software toolsmith and a musician by trade, but nobody really
needs a software toolsmith much, and the music industry is so cutthroat