Subject: Re: A few Sun4m changes
To: None <neil@domino.org>
From: Rob Healey <rhealey@helios.mn.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/25/1996 21:34:10
> On Wed, 24 Apr 1996 16:42:19 -0700 (PDT)
>  "Jonathan O'Brien" <obrien@phoenix.sfsu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Not much help, but on an SS10 you want to avoid the onboard le. You should
> > install an FSBE and use that instead.
> >
> I've heard this about all sun4m arches.

	The 10 is notorious for it's braindamaged ledma device that causes
	ALOT of grief. Apparently the rev of ethernet controller in most
	10's is basically hopeless.

	ledma devices in sun4m boxes in general cause a higher interrupt load
	than the buffered versions but only that, i.e. I know of no other
	sun4m ledma design that has the serious braindamage of the 10's...

	For the 10 it's a matter of survival to avoid the motherboard
	ethernet. For all other sun4m's it's a performance issue.

	The problem has to do to the way the ether controller on the 10
	locks up the sbus solid when too much traffic is on the network.
	The "silent death" syndrome...

	On a lightly loaded net the 10 is usually OK, any significant
	NFS traffic to/from the box is usually enough to lock it up
	solid.

		-Rob