Subject: Re: A few Sun4m changes
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Peter Svensson <petersv@df.lth.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/25/1996 09:29:31
On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Chris G Demetriou wrote:

> > How about link0 says use UTP, link1 says use AUI, neither says don't
> > meddle with the way it comes up, and both says dynamically switch as
> > necessary to cure lost carrier?  I think that would satisfy all
> > factions: you can nail it down to one connector or the other, you can
> > get the behavior I called Really Cool, or you can use whatever the boot
> > roms leave it set to.
>
> Gee, too bad that's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than all other ethernet
> drivers in the source tree that support multiple media connectors...
>
> Not only that, it becomes impossible to tell (in software, from
> user-land, without special hacks) N weeks after you've booted you're
> system, which connector you're using...  (syslogs age out, and dmesg
> accumulates...)

Are you suggesting you have _both_ connectors plugged in? If you don't,
all you have to do is to look at which cable is plugged in. Plugging both
of them in seems a bit strange to me.

I for one really like mouse's idea, and humbly suggests that the other
ethernet card drivers be modified in this way too.

Peter