Subject: Re: A few Sun4m changes
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/25/1996 00:32:36
> How about link0 says use UTP, link1 says use AUI, neither says don't
> meddle with the way it comes up, and both says dynamically switch as
> necessary to cure lost carrier?  I think that would satisfy all
> factions: you can nail it down to one connector or the other, you can
> get the behavior I called Really Cool, or you can use whatever the boot
> roms leave it set to.

Gee, too bad that's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than all other ethernet
drivers in the source tree that support multiple media connectors...

Not only that, it becomes impossible to tell (in software, from
user-land, without special hacks) N weeks after you've booted you're
system, which connector you're using...  (syslogs age out, and dmesg
accumulates...)

cgd