Subject: Re: Quick SUN4M Ethernet hack
To: Matt Ragan <matt@ibmoto.com>
From: Bert Driehuis <driehuis@playbeing.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/23/1996 18:55:06
>Here is a quick-hack patch for /sys/dev/ic/am7990.c that will fix the
>'le0: carrier lost" problem with the Sun 4m systems.  After you apply
>the patch and rebuild your kernel, you need to add the 'link0' option
>to /etc/hostname.le0 or wherver is appropriate for your system to enable
>the twisted pair port.  Without the 'link0' option, the AUI port is enabled.

>>               if (ifp->if_flags & IFF_LINK0)
>>                       sc->sc_dma->sc_regs->csr |= D_TPE;
>>               else
>>                       sc->sc_dma->sc_regs->csr &= ~D_TPE;

How about adding an option to not touch the PROM settings? Might come in
handy when netbooting :-)

I'd even prefer no options to mean use whatever we found when we booted,
link0 to select TPE, and link1 to select AUI, something like that.

                                        -- Bert Driehuis

------
Bert Driehuis                 God, grant me the serenity to accept the things
driehuis@playbeing.org        I can't change, courage to change the things I
                              can, and the wisdom to know the difference.