Subject: Re: A few Sun4m changes
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/23/1996 02:16:02
> >> [...UTP vs AUI...]
> > The driver is supposed to select the right media at boot time.  On
> > the other hand, I don't think that it is right to dynamically change
> > media just because link was lost in the middle of the day.
>
> Why not?  I think it'd be Really Cool (tm) to be able to yank off one
> medium and plug the other one in and have it cut over automagically.

If you're on a really busy network that gets hosed with lots of
activity (enough to see 'no carrier' messages during regular use), it
seems that you could be arbitrarily scrwed by this...

maybe it's just me, but i don't enjoy having "Really Cool (tm)"
features in my kernel.  I want reliable, deterministic, ones.

cgd