Subject: Re: Transceivers (Was: 4m changes)
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/22/1996 19:15:56
>> This would even let you do something cool like disconnecting TP and
>> connecting AUI without rebooting :-)

> This is a question that had me wondering for a while: Is it ok to (On
> an ELC) disconnect the UTP-transceiver, and connect a BNC-MAU,
> without powering down?  Or would I risk fried circuitry in either
> then?  For all clarity, that implies hot-plugging transcievers with
> the machine up. and running.

I've never hesitated, indeed, it never occurred to me that it might be
a problem.  Nor have I ever had any problem, and I've done this
probably hundreds of times.  And unless there are ground loops on the
medium that put the transceiver at a different ground from the machine,
I have trouble seeing how there could be any trouble....

Of course, this is just one mouse's experience, hardly conclusive.
Nor, of course, am I volunteering to replace equipment damaged by your
following my implicit advice. :-)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu