Subject: Re: A few Sun4m changes
To: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
From: Aaron Brown <abrown@eecs.harvard.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/22/1996 08:31:30
On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, "Neil J. McRae" wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Apr 1996 05:35:31 GMT
>  christos@deshaw.com (Christos Zoulas) wrote:
>
> > I just added a patch that will use link0 to select utp and -link0 to select
> > aui. Actually I was committing the patch at the same time Aaron committed
> > his :-)
>
> This is horrible! This driver should be able to detect what is plugged
> into the card and the user should not have to preselect link0 or
> -link0.

The problem is that, as far as I can tell, the PROM only reports the cable-
type when you're network-booting. Thus if we don't have christos's patch,
the kernel with my patch will only detect the cable type correctly when
the machine is netbooted, which doesn't help when you've got a disk-booting
machine.

It seems like one way to get around this problem would be to dynamically
change the link type when the driver detects loss of carrier to see if
the other link works. This would even let you do something cool like
disconnecting TP and connecting AUI without rebooting :-). The problem
is that this requires yet more changes to MI code...anyone out there
have opinions on this?

--Aaron