Subject: Re: General sun4m problems (Re: Disk formatting and labelling under NetBSD/sparc?)
To: David S. Miller <davem@caip.rutgers.edu>
From: Aaron Brown <abrown@eecs.harvard.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/18/1996 11:06:07
On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, "David S. Miller" wrote:

> Aparently, nobody likes competition around here, ok I'll be quiet with
> my comments then.

It is attitudes like this that fragment the free software world and make it
harder for all of us to make progress. There is nothing wrong with
having competition, or in this case having two different free OS's that
run on a given hardware platform; people have different preferences for
what they want in an OS, and you aren't going to be able to easily
convince the devotees of one OS model to switch to another. Thus the
important thing is *not* to slam the other side's OS, but to work together
constructively, to offer each other advice and solutions, and to create
an environment where *all* the free OS's are good enough that people will
use them. If this happens, then all sides win: people who like BSD or who
want a BSD system for research can use it, people who like Linux can use
it, and both OSs will be better due to cross-fertilization and shared
improvements. If your only goal is to flame me, to bash NetBSD/sparc,
and to be generally obnoxious, please go somewhere else and allow us to
proceed constructively.

As for this specific case, yes, it is true that the le driver does not
set the AUI/TP bit. When I wrote that part of the driver, I did not
realize that that bit was not set automatically, as the documentation
suggests. Since I have only one test machine, which happens to be
netbooted, I never saw this problem. One developer with one test machine
cannot hope to possibly exercise all possible cases, and that is exactly
why distributions like netbsd-current and the community that runs it exist.
I appreciate your bug report, and will be checking in a fix as soon as
my busy schedule clears long enough for me to look at the problem. I
just wish that you did not have to resort to such obnoxious and rude tactics
to report problems.

--Aaron