Subject: Re: General sun4m problems (Re: Disk formatting and labelling under NetBSD/sparc?)
To: None <Alan.Perry@Eng.Sun.COM>
From: David S. Miller <davem@caip.rutgers.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/17/1996 23:01:13
   Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 07:38:57 -0700
   From: Alan.Perry@Eng.Sun.COM (Alan Perry)

   Problem 1.
   I cannot get the network to work on the TPE connection.  OBP says the network
   is hooked up.  SunOS 4.x uses it fine.  NetBSD says the network is not
   connected.  Someone suggested specifying "link0 link1" to ifconfig, but this
   did not work.  The only thing that I have not tried is using the AUI/sound
   box interface.  I really would like to use the TPE connection, though.

Aaron doesn't even attempt to check if the le is using a tpe or aui
connection, nor does he ask the prom for what burst sizes the bus is
capable of handling for dvma.  Therefore I'm surprised the le ever
works on the sun4m unless you netboot the kernel (in which case the
prom sets the proper bits in the dma csr, but even this isn't
reliable).

Under SparcLinux we do not have these problems.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@caip.rutgers.edu