Subject: General sun4m problems (Re: Disk formatting and labelling under NetBSD/sparc?)
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alan Perry <Alan.Perry@Eng.Sun.COM>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/16/1996 07:38:57
I am experiencing a couple of problems getting data onto the Classic that
I am running NetBSD on.  Maybe someone else has seen the same problem.

Note that I am running a build from the end of January, not the official
1.0 sun4m release, but these problems make it hard to load the latest stuff
onto the machine.

Problem 1.
I cannot get the network to work on the TPE connection.  OBP says the network
is hooked up.  SunOS 4.x uses it fine.  NetBSD says the network is not
connected.  Someone suggested specifying "link0 link1" to ifconfig, but this
did not work.  The only thing that I have not tried is using the AUI/sound
box interface.  I really would like to use the TPE connection, though.

Problem 2.
The system does not configure (and thus does not handle) the floppy drive.
During boot, I get a message saying that the floppy (SUNW,fwtwo or whatever
it is called) was not configured.  I looked through the configuration and
noted that the floppy controller could only be configured on "mainbus".
I do not know what mainbus is, but the OBP and my slavio docs say that the
fdc is on obio, so I modified things so that it would match when the OBP
returned that the floppy is on obio.  Now, when I try to use the floppy, I
get a watchdog reset.  Even worse, when I look at the code, it does not seem
to muck with the appropriate fdc registers in a way that is consistent with
what the slavio manual says.

Any ideas?

alan