Subject: Re: Cannot get -current to boot off non-A partition
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/07/1996 10:06:21
> I'm trying to get NetBSD-current to boot on a Sparcstation IPC, with
> rev 1.6 bootproms, off a non-A partition (sd0e).  [...]

> 1.	I'm booting sd0e via boot sd(0,0,4)netbsd.
> 	The dk_establish() code in sparc/sparc/disksubr.c
> 	is interpreting that as meaning target 0, lun 4.

IMO this is a bug, since that's not what the PROM takes it as.  The
bootpath code should mimic the PROM's interpretation.

> 3.	I tried booting with "boot sd(0,0,4)netbsd -as".
> 	*However*, that does not result in RB_ASKNAME being set
> 	in the bootflags.
> 	I had to also type  "netbsd -a -s" when prompted by the
> 	bootblock for a kernel to boot.

This is likely because you're using the SunOS bootblocks.  Did you try
using the NetBSD bootblocks on sd0e?

> 4.	When I did figure out how to boot a kernel with
> 	RB_ASKNAME,  and I gave a root partition of "sd0e",
> 	the kernel asked for a swap device, flashed the keyboard LEDs,
> 	and hung...

I feel a bit silly saying this, especially to you...but this sounds
suspiciously like the "empty /dev" problem.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu