Subject: Re: sparc boot disk
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/04/1996 10:46:56
> I'm attempting to install a new root disk on my SparcIPX as the
> original Sun/Seagate 424 is making funny noises.

> However, I'm having trouble getting it to boot.  Details are: [...]

> People/rb [prophead:1]# disklabel -r sd3
> # /dev/rsd3c:
> [...]
> I mounted [sd3], installed [/ and /usr] and [installed bootblocks],
> but when I try to boot off the disk the machine complains:

> Bad magic number in disk label
> Can't open Sun disk label program
> Can't open boot device

> anyone have any ideas?

Yeah...my first guess would be that you have a NetBSD disk label on
that disk instead of a SunOS-compatible disklabel.  (Of course,
strictly, what you need is not compatability with SunOS but rather
compatability with Sun ROMs, but for our purposes they are the same
thing.)

A while ago, I tossed out a program "sunlabel" here (and port-sun3),
that lets you do Sun-style disklabels directly on the disk.  It doesn't
work "live"; you have to reboot after changing the label.  (Or, if it's
a removable drive, eject and reinsert the media - incidentally, it'd be
nice of there were an ioctl analog to that for fixed drives.)  If you
have trouble finding it, I'll be glad to mail it to you.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu