Subject: Re: Type 3 (?) keyboards
To: None <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca, jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/03/1996 11:09:24
> Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 00:18:49 -0500 (EST)
> From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>

> 	To add... my Sun does know about it's keys under X, but it
> does not see them when on the console.

The X server puts the keyboard in "raw" mode and maps them itself.
(This was the main justification for the bare-bones kbd driver.)

> 	New z8530 driver?  Does this mean that serial performance
> might be picking up, or just the keyboard keys recognized?

I'm not sure if it will be any faster.  It might be faster, since the
interrupt handler now reads as much as it can from the zs chip on each
interrupt (so there may be multiple characters per interrupt).

It may also be slower, because there is some more overhead in the
mechanism used to actually touch the zs chip.  (This overhead could
be fixed by allowing inline routines in place of function pointers.)

Gordon