Subject: Re: Sparc/ELC's SLC's for sale
To: None <christos@deshaw.com, jim@santafe.arch.columbia.edu>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/31/1996 11:23:28
> On Mar 29,  1:30pm, jim@santafe.arch.columbia.edu (Jim Wise) wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: Sparc/ELC's SLC's for sale
>
>> At 4:40 PM 3/28/96, Christos Zoulas wrote:
>>> I have 8-10 ELC's and 2 SLC's with 16Mb each that are just taking space
>>> in our inventory room, and space in New York is expensive. They are all
>>> in working order. I cannot just give them away, but I can take
>>> reasonable offers (I consider around $500+shipping reasonable).
>>
>> Tell me more about these machines?
>
> These come with a built-in monochrome monitor. They are SS1+ class machines.

SLC's are 20 MHz SPARCs, i.e. SS1 class machines.
ELC's are 33 MHz SPARCs, i.e. about half-way between an SS1+ and an SS2.

> Something like a 486/33+ ...

Or, something like a 486DX/33 in integer performance, and a turbo-486DX/33
in floating point ...

******** TABLE 2: SPECint92, SPECFP92 ********

System       CPU       ClkMHz Cache        SPEC  SPEC  Info  Source
Name         Type      ext/in Ext+I/D      92Int 92 FP Date  Obtained
------------ --------- ------ ------------ ----- ----- ----- -----------------
Compaq Dkpro 80486DX   33     128+8         18.2   8.3 Sep92 SPEC newsletter
Sun SS ELC   SP/FuWe   33     64            18.2  17.9 Nov92 Sunflash

******** TABLE 3: integer/FP SPECrate92 ********

System       CPU       ClkMHz Cache        SRate  SRate  Info  Source
Name         Type      ext/in Ext+I/D       Int     FP   Date  Obtained
Compaq Dkpro 80486DX   33     128+8          432c   197c Sep92 SPEC newsltr
Sun SS ELC   SP/FuWe   33     64             432    425  Nov92 Sunflash

I would note that as someone who sits here in front of a 20 MHz SPARC clone
with only 24 Mb of RAM, you do *not* want to sit in front of a 16 Mb SLC
unless you only want to use it as a diskless X terminal (cf. recent posts to
port-sparc concerning SLC SCSI troubles) or you have a *lot* of patience ...

(But do make Christos a reasonable offer for the ELCs.)

I still remember when an ELC seemed "damned fast",

	- Greg