Subject: Re: Progress on the "Everything dumps core" problem
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/29/1996 20:16:00
	I just wanted to comment on this thread (which I've CC'd to
port-i386) that I have experienced the 'everything core dumps' on my
NetBSD386 box.

	One pecuilarity that I have seen is that if you are logged in
with a shell and things start core dumping, that logging out and back
in again can sometimes fix the problem.  It's almost like this is some
funky state of the parent process that causes any fork/exec to
immediately fail.

	Curiously, on my Sparc (which is why port-sparc is cc'd), I
get an almost similar symtom.  There, I get shells that will not start
another program (they just hang).  Again, this seems to be a parent
process problem.  If get out of that shell and start another, things
seem to start working again.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |