Subject: sun4c will not boot via le()
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kerry Gray <kgray@netcom.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/29/1996 10:49:03
I am trying to get my SS1 to boot Netbsd off the net.  So far, I got it
to tftp the boot program, to successfully complete the bootparam whoami
and getfile for the root system.  At this point I get:

root addr=198.94.9.200 path=/local/sparc
Can't open network device 'le(0,0,0)'
open: netbsd: Unknown error: code -1
device[le(0,0,0)]:

If I follow the invitation to retry the error number changes to 23.

The boot host is running the PC version of netbsd 1.1.  It is the RARP
server, the bootparams server, the tftp server, and the NFS server.

Previously I had used Freebsd for the RARP and bootparams, and HP-UX for
the NFS, but the sparc would halt telling me it was unable to mount the
swapfile.  Since I got farther with this setup than I am getting with the
Netbsd one, I can only assume there is some configuration error on my
part, rather than a hardware fault.

Any ideas?