Subject: Re: Install on Sparc SLC
To: None <ganderson@os2bbs.com>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/28/1996 13:32:32
On Wed, 27 Mar 1996 ganderson@os2bbs.com wrote:

> [...]
>
> I have a Sparcstation SLC w/16 Mb RAM, 150 Mb SCSI tape drive (Archive
> Viper) and a 1 Gb SCSI disk (from a non-Sun system).  I do not have any
> OS for this machine, and I do not have any documentation for it either
> (hey, it was *really* cheap).
>
> Anyway, the INSTALL.DOC that I got from ftp.netbsd.org indicates that
> NetBSD can be installed from tape, but does not elaborate on how this is
> done.  Since I do not have a Sun running SunOS (or anything else for that
> matter) I need to install from tape - a real, 'from the ground up'
> install.  Can someone here outline the steps necessary to do this, to
> include what files to put on the tape, what format they should be in,
> and where I can find them?  Or point me to some doc that has fairly
> explicit instructions on how to do this.  I do have an Intel based PC
> running FreeBSD 2.1 and I occasionally work on an SGI running IRIX at
> work, so I'm not totally lost when it comes to Unix, but I don't have
> that much experience, either, and practically no experience with Sun
> hardware.

	If you can get the Sun on the same network as the FreeBSD or IRIX
	box then extract a NetBSD 1.1 distribution on the server and
	export it you should be able to boot the sun diskless and build
	it that way. (As it happened I did this earlier this week on an
	ELC from an IRIX box - point to note with IRIX, you _must_ have
	a domainname for its rarpd to work... grrrr :)

	Check the 'diskless' man page (section 8) for info on booting a
	sun diskless.

                   David/abs             (david@mono.org)

+44 181 888 8949 System Manager, Southern Studios Ltd, Box 59, London N22 1AR
 >=- OpenBSD http://www.openbsd.org. Free un*x for {sparc,i386,m68k,...} -=<
       <<< Monochrome - Largest UK Internet BBS - telnet mono.org >>>