Subject: SLC woes
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/27/1996 15:32:54
I'm *sure* this has been discussed, but I can't for the life of me
"remember" the answers.

Here's my config:

SPARCstation SLC
16 MB Memory
2 disks:
	sd1 at esp(0:1:0): SUN0327
	sd3 at esp(0:3:0): SUN0669
CD-ROM	cd0 at esp(0:6:0)
tape	st0 at esp(0:4:0): rogue, variable density
["actually it's an EXB-8200, but I'm not telling HIM that!"]

Made all the filesystems under StunOS (4.1.3_U1 FWIW).

Several problems:

1)	NetBSD-current960309 sees all the devices just fine unless I make
	an attempt to fsck anything on sd3, at which point it decides it
	can't write any of the superblocks.  sd1 works just fine.
	NetBSD refuses to mkfs any of the filesystems on sd3.  It comes
	back with 'wtfs: blk [sizeof(fs) - 1]: write failed: error 0'
	or something similar.

2)	esp0: RESELECT: 9 bytes in FIFO!
	'Nuff said.  I evidently have a buggy SCSI chip or something
	for which there is currently no workaround that I know of.
	Has this been addressed or is it being looked into, or is the
	priority sufficiently low on this that we're forgetting about it
	for the time being...?

	All I know is that it prevents my tape drive from working properly,
	because it throws the tape drive into a temporarily unusable
	state in which I must rewind the tape and reposition it before
	I can attempt to read it again.

3)	dd if=/dev/nrst0 bs=20b fails with a complaint about the
	block size being too big for the tape drive(r).

Any help at all would be appreciated.  please don't flame me for not
listening as my mail stack has a tendency to overflow and I've lost a
lot of things in the shuffle lately.

Thanks in advance...

				--*greywolf;
--
Sun could have remained quite profitable by staying with BSD-based OSs, and
they wouldn't have pissed off NEARLY as many customers.