Subject: Re: NetBSD+SunOS
To: None <pgpeter@informatik.uni-siegen.de>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/14/1996 01:34:54
> sorry if this a FAQ but i want to know how to use NetBSD/Sparc
> and SunOS4.1.x on the same harddisk.
> I have only one Dec1GB-HardDisk, which
> has  the following partitions:
> 40MB root-Partition for SunOS,
> 40MB for SwapSpace,
> 40MB reserved for NetBSD/Linux/Solaris or something else
> ~800MB used for sunos actually but i want to share
>        this partition between netbsd and sunos.
> Is this possible ? Can somebody point me to Information about this ?

It can be done. You install NetBSD in your reserved partition (e.g. /dev/sd0d
if that were it's located according to your disklabel).

The only snag here is the /usr filesystem. 40MB is too small for the
entire binary distribution. If you planned to locate /usr/* on your 800MB
partition, you'll have to fiddle with the installation script a bit, as
it's not prepared for this situation.

If you have the option, it's easiest to just to enlarge the NetBSD partition
(120MB should be adequate) and install everything in there.

-pk