Subject: Re: The impossible has happened.
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
From: Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/13/1996 13:00:56
On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, David Gilbert wrote:

> 	While testing ethernet things, I discovered that the
> impossible has happened.  I have two ethernet cards with the same
> ethernet (raw) address.  Actually, it's highly unlikely that this is
> true, but I get the following from my messages file (and on boot):

  No, not impossible.  Sun puts the ethernet address in NVRAM on the
system board, and it is used by default for all ethernet interfaces.  It
is assumed that if you have multiple ethernet interfaces, they will be on
separate segements.  Basically, this design is for netbooting purposes,
as you can set boot options (kernel, etc) per machine, rather than per
interface.

Tom