Subject: Re: Reselect failure with esp controller
To: Peter Svensson , NetBSD Sparc <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Shyeah right. What am I gonna do with a gun rack? <jgraham@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/13/1996 14:02:07
Peter Svensson sez:
/*
 * Whenever I try to use a scsi-disk in combination with my ESDI-behind-
 * scsi-bridge I get a "esp0: RESELECT: 7 bytes in FIFO!". Is this a problem
 * with the esp code, a problem with the esdi adapter (it is the Emulex
 * controller used in sun's shoebox) or a result of the combination of the
 * esp controller and the esdi disk?
 *
 *

I get the same thing with pure SCSI devices.

Actually, I'm now having two problems.  Here I am at home (no networking):

        SPARCstation SLC 16MB RAM (Hey, it was free!)
        Sun 669MB disk
        Sun 327MB disk
	EXB-8200 8mm tape drive (shows up as "rogue", mt doesn't recog)
	Sun CD-ROM (no problems -- yet)

1)  There's the problem of timeouts which is preventing me from loading
    the distribution from tape :-( (I'm at home with no networking and would
    like to build -current).

2)  newfs fails on sd3* with

	newfs: cannot write block [sizeof(fs) -1] (or something)
	wtfs: Undefined error: 0

 * If, as I assume, this is the result of the Emulex controller not
 * supporting reselects properly, can I disable the reselect code and let
 * each transfer to one disk complete before another transfer on another
 * disk is attempted? This would allow me to transfer my current
 * installation to a real scsi disk at least.
 *
 * Peter
 */

				--*greywolf;
--
				-=*=-
	"Did her eyes at the Turn of the Century tell me plainly