Subject: How do I get it instlled?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <ganderson@os2bbs.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/12/1996 22:05:18
With apologies to those that remember seeing this message before, I am
resending it to the list since the copy I got back via the list was quite
garbled.

I have a Sparcstation SLC w/16Mb, a 150Mb SCSI tape drive and a 1Gb SCSI
disk.  I do not have a floppy drive; I do not have any docs or operating
system (hey it was *really* cheap).

I would like to run NetBSD 1.1 on it, but I can't seem to figure out how
to get the system to boot NetBSD, or some installation routine, from
tape.
 It appears that this should be possible, since the OpenBoot ROM
will allow
 booting from tape, but I don't know what to put on the tape to
make this
 happen.  I've read the install.doc for NetBSD and it also
indicates that it is
 possible to install from tape, but does not
elaborate on how exactly this is
 done.  If anyone has any ideas about how
to do this, or can point me to a
 document that details the process, I
would appreciate it.  Please note that the
 disk is not partitioned, and
is from a non-Sun machine, so this would be
 a real 'from the ground up'
install.  I should also mention that I am not very
 familiar with Suns,
but I have a Intel-based machine running FreeBSD 2.1,
 and I work
(occasionally) with an SGI running IRIX at work.

Thanks,
-Andy (ganderson@os2bbs.com)

 -- End of forwarded message
Thanks,