Subject: Problems getting i386 talking to sparc with ethernet
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/10/1996 16:28:31
	Some of you will have seen my posts about my booting problems
with my NetBSD 386 system.  Those problems still exist.  However, I
have taken the machine home to do further work there.

	At work, after booting from the floppies, I was able to
ifconfig the ethernet and talk to hosts.  I nfs-mounted the files I
needed to install, and I ran the install successfully (save the boot
problem).  I did this with an impromptu ethernet extension from a
machine in the next room (the only thing I like about coax etherent).

	Now, I'm at home.  I have one segment of coax cable with T's
and tertminators on each end connecting my sparc and my 386 (sparc
also need the external tranceiver thing).  When I ping on the sparc, I
get too ie0: many collisions.  However, watching the light on the pc's
card, I only see activity for the first couple of packets.

	The sparc then changes it's tune to 'ping sendto: host is
down'.  Conversely, if I ping from the 386, I get 'ed2: device
timeout' a few times before ping responds with 'ping sendto: host is
down' ...

	Keep in mind, that this was working before at work.  I'm going
to try another segment of wire, but does anyone have any ideas?

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |