Subject: Re: sw0 performance...
To: Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org>
From: David Jones <dej@achilles.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/05/1996 23:18:55

> At 08:05 AM 3/5/96 -0500, David Jones wrote:
> >The other big difference: NetBSD has a fixed size buffer cache that is
> >separate from the VM system.  SunOS merges the VM and buffer cache so the
> >buffer cache could grow to fill all physical memory.  This might give
> >SunOS better performance in some applications.
>
>         Is the NetBSD method of buffering better or worse than SunOS?  (I'd
> suspect better since NetBSD is supposed to be "better" than SunOS in terms
> of performance).  I am familiar with the caching scheme in Linux in which (I
> believe) it's managed like SunOS.  Is this correct?

Linux is sorta like SunOS: shared VM and buffer cache.

What is better is really application dependent.  I have apps that do 110
MB of disk I/O in <1 minute, and they push everything else out on SunOS.
That sucks.  OTOH, other apps (such as big compiles) work much faster
on SunOS cuz all of the includes stay cached.