Subject: Re: sw0 performance...
To: David Jones <dej@achilles.net>
From: Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/05/1996 13:41:00
At 08:05 AM 3/5/96 -0500, David Jones wrote:
>The other big difference: NetBSD has a fixed size buffer cache that is
>separate from the VM system.  SunOS merges the VM and buffer cache so the
>buffer cache could grow to fill all physical memory.  This might give
>SunOS better performance in some applications.

        Is the NetBSD method of buffering better or worse than SunOS?  (I'd
suspect better since NetBSD is supposed to be "better" than SunOS in terms
of performance).  I am familiar with the caching scheme in Linux in which (I
believe) it's managed like SunOS.  Is this correct?

        I thought being able to utilize all "free" RAM as a cache would be
beneficial to performance.

        Please don't flame me if any of the above is nonsense, I do not know
ANYTHING about the inner workings of an operating system on any platform.
I'm just a dumb user who sees that performance is pretty bad on my system :-)

Mike.

Mike Frisch                             Email: mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org
Northstar Technologies                 WWW: http://www.io.org/~mfrisch
Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA                      Compuserve: 76620,2534