Subject: Re: Feb. 29 kernel
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/05/1996 20:53:00
Paul Kranenburg writes:

>>  o Now the bug manifests itself.  NOTE 32 in my draft of the scsi spec
>>    says: "Since the data pointer value may be modified by the target
>>    before the I/O-process ends, it should not be used to test for
>>    actual transfer length because it is not reliable."  Contrary to

>Cf. section 6.4.2:

>"  On those occasions when an error or exception condition occurs and the
>target elects to repeat the information transfer, the target may repeat the
>transfer by either issuing a RESTORE POINTERS message or by disconnecting
>without issuing a SAVE DATA POINTER message.  When reconnection is completed,
>the most recent saved pointer values are restored."

Cf. section 6.6.6, "DISCONNECT":

"  Targets that break data transfers into multiple connections shall
end each successful connection (except possibly the last) with a SAVE
DATA POINTER - DISCONNECT message sequence."

Anyway, you can't determine the residue from the bytes transfered over
the SCSI bus.  In a multi-block transfer the target might report an
error for the first block after it has transfered later blocks over
the bus.
--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.